TCAT and paratransit provider Gadabout are taking precautions against the potential spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) while monitoring updates and heeding advice from health experts.
TCAT and Gadabout, both of whom operate out of the same facility at 737 Willow Ave., are adhering to COVID-19 guidelines set forth by numerous agencies. They include the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC), the New York Department of Health and the Tompkins County Health Department. TCAT is also following industry-specific guidelines from the Albany-based New York Public Transit Association and the Washington, D.C.-based American Public Transportation Association.
The following protocols that went into effect the week of Mon., March 9, include:
- Bus Cleaning: TCAT recently procured a professional-grade germicidal electrostatic sprayer for bus handlers to disinfect bus interior surfaces every night to include stanchions, handrails and seats. This extra step is in addition to their daily routine of cleaning and sanitizing all buses to include Gadabout’s fleet.
- Facility Cleaning: custodians, every morning before opening time, will also use the electrostatic sprayer to sanitize surfaces inside Green Street Station, TCAT’s major hub and indoor passenger waiting area. Custodians will also take extra steps in sanitizing employee and public areas within the Willow Avenue facility.
- Hand Sanitizers: are to be available to riders on all buses and Green Street Station.
- Rider Guidelines: posters with CDC information with COVID-19 prevention and personal hygiene guidelines, such as hand washing and self-isolating in the event of illness, are to be placed in buses and at key shelters.
- Employee Guidelines: CDC guidelines, as listed above, along with other measures recommended by human resources experts, have been posted in all employee areas.
- Employee supplies: all employees are being supplied with individual plastic bottles of hand sanitizers, as well as germicidal wipes with instructions on how to sanitize their personal space.
TCAT revised service effective Thurs., March 19, through Sat., May 23, due to lower ridership. Click here for revisions. Due to the rapidly changing nature of the crisis, TCAT many need to make additional and sudden changes throughout the period. Before boarding, TCAT riders are advised to check TCAT’s Bus Tracker at https://realtimetcatbus.availtec.com/InfoPoint/ Gadabout will communicate with its passengers through its normal communication channels.
If and when additional information or updated guidelines becomes available, TCAT will revise printed and online information here.