Ithaca and Tompkins County are constantly evolving and as the region continues to experience new construction developments and population growth, it is an opportune time to consider how the broader transportation system, including bus transit services, will need to adapt as well.
TCAT is taking a brave and visionary approach into the future. Our bus system provides a vital service for both residents and visitors, who take the bus to get to jobs, schools, healthcare services, shopping, and recreation. A comprehensive review and assessment of the TCAT bus network is a critical step in continuing our growth and commitment towards delivering safe, reliable, and affordable transit services.
The Transit Development Plan (TDP) 2020 is a holistic process in which TCAT will undertake a comprehensive review of the demand for transit within the service area and its existing bus network with the goal of refining services to existing or new demand, increasing overall ridership and utilization, and providing equitable and reliable bus service.
The goals of the TCAT TDP 2020 are:
- Envision and plan a clear, efficient, and attractive fixed‐route transit system with multi‐modal connectivity.
- Provide solutions for first/last-mile services, especially in the rural areas of Tompkins County.
- Plan for frequent-service corridors that are attractive for riders and support amenity and service improvements.
- Increase overall ridership, reliability, and utilization of TCAT services.
- Ensure that the bus network continues to serve people equitably, including historically vulnerable communities, seniors and youths, and population with disabilities.
During the project, we will be asking for your input and feedback. Residents of Tompkins County, including both TCAT riders and non-riders are strongly encouraged to participate in our upcoming public engagement events.
On the side bar is where you can find the latest news and updates regarding the TCAT TDP 2020 process, information about the Transit Ambassadors program, relevant project documents, and the best way to contact us and to stay involved and informed as the project progresses.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, all scheduled engagement events are anticipated to be online, and you will be able to participate from your home or remotely.